Monday, May 18, 2009

Our Story

So, how did you two meet?

The short answer: Blind Date

The longer version: Jared is my friend's hairdresser's brother-in-law, and they set us up.

The whole story:

"For a single man of good fortune
must be in want of a wife!" Jane Austen

Jared suspected his sister-in-law Amanda had made it her quest to find his soul mate. She is a cosmetologist and therefore has quite the network of clients to draw from. My guess is she regularly asked each one if they knew anyone to set her brother-in-law up with. Jared was a good sport, dutifully calling each number she presented him. I was number 2 on a list of 3 she gave him at the end of last year. Needless to say, #3 never got her phone call.

"Judge a tree from its fruit, not from its leaves." Euripides

I had been divorced for about 6 months when Julie first told me about Amanda's brother-in-law. I'm sorry Amanda, but the description I got wasn't very appealing. A never-before-married 33 year-old super-religious bachelor with 2 cats. My limited experience in the dating pool for the second time had taught me to be leery of never-before-married. I'm pretty religious, but super-religious? And I am deathly allergic to cats. It looked like three strikes to me, so I was out. But the seed was planted and a couple of months later, I found myself willing to give even a never-before-married 33 year-old super-religious bachelor with 2 cats a chance.

"You can't blame gravity for falling in love." Albert Einstein

Well, it wasn't love at first sight, but the first date was definitely a hit. By the end of the date, Jared had asked me out for the following weekend. We decided that Saturday would work best for both of our schedules, and then realized the following Saturday was Valentine's day! We decided to go ahead with the date with a warning from Jared for me not to expect anything romantic seeing as it was only the 2nd date. Maybe it was my low expectations, but date #2 had some definite romantic elements, and I was definitely interested. Apparently he was hooked, too because he called me the next day fishing for an invitation to come over. I bit, he came, and we were falling faster than either of us ever would have expected from a blind date.

2 comments:

  1. Karen didn't know you had a till today. But I see it has been sometime since your last post. Now that I know of jaredandkarenkeller.blospot.com exists you better get to blogging some more.

    ReplyDelete